Midwest Towns That Need Workers Will Pay People to Relocate
Some towns in the Midwest are so desperate for skilled college graduates to fill jobs that they are paying people to relocate, offering things like free land or partially-paid rent. Part of the problem is that these kinds of workers are leaving rural areas to go to big cities. Some of the offers out there include:
- Grant County, Indiana, is offering recent college graduates $5,000 toward the down payment on a house, or payment of 20 percent of their rent.
- North Platte, Nebraska is offering $10,000 to relocate.
- Hamilton, Ohio offers $5,000 to help with student loans.
- St. Clair County, Michigan, recently raised its student-loan scholarships from $10,000 to $15,000 for students willing to relocate.
- Marne, Iowa, gives transplants a free piece of land on which they can build a home.