Omaha To Open Rental Assistance Applications on Monday

After weeks of delays, the City of Omaha is finally opening up its emergency rental assistance program next week.

Mayor Jean Stothert's office says over $22 million are available for both tenants and landlords to receive rent and utility assistance.

Around 10-12,000 renters are expected to be given assistance through the program.

Approved funds will be paid directly to landlords and utility providers.

Applications open on Monday, April 5 online at this link. Starting Monday, those requiring assistance by phone can call 211 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays.

To qualify, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident with their name on a lease for a rental within Omaha city limits. According to the news release, applicants must also be:

  • At or below 80% of the median annual income based on household size. For single-person households, that translates to $48,750 annually; $55,700 for two-person households; $62,650 for three-person households; $69,600 for households of four; $75,200 for five; $80,750 for six; $76,350 for seven; and $91,900 for households of eight.
  • Able to demonstrate financial loss due to COVID-19 by at least one person in the household, or have at least one person there receiving a pay cut or unemployment assistance.
  • On the verge of housing instability or homelessness.

During the application process, applicants will be required to submit:

  • Proof of being financially impacted by COVID-19, including verification of loss of employment, a layoff notice, an unemployment letter, or some other signed attestation of impact.
  • Current lease or rental agreement that states the applicant’s name and address.
  • Rental statement or notice indicating a balance of rent owed.
  • Driver’s license or another form of government-issued identification for the head of the household.
  • Proof of income of all contributing household members, such as1040s, recent pay stubs, unemployment claims, or other contribution statements.

Property owners and managers will need to submit additional documentation, including proof of ownership and a W9. They can also submit an application on behalf of their tenants but must have written authorization to do so, proof of which will be required during the application process.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content