Students at Logan Fontenelle Middle School in Bellevue were forced out of the building around 8:30 Thursday morning after the smoke detectors went off.
"There was a light haze in there and the children were evacuated from the building," Bellevue Assistant Fire Chief Steve Betts tells NewsRadio 1110 KFAB. "Due to the inclement weather the were moved down about a half a block to the church in a warm area."
The students were put on buses and taken to the Bellevue Christian Center while the building was checked. Betts says the source of the smoke was a bad HVAC motor. He says there was there was no actual fire.
Students began returning to the school shortly after 9:10 a.m. Maintenance crews will replace the motor and the district says there could be an odor of smoke in the building until it clears during the day Thursday.
The school is located just near Harvell Drive and Galvin Road.