The new year got off to a rocky start for one family whose apartment caught fire, causing them to lose almost everything.
Fire crews were called to 38th and Farnam around 8:00 Tuesday morning where they found heavy smoke coming from one of eight apartments in the complex.
One adult and five children were home at the time of the fire. No one was injured in the blaze, but a few pets, including at least two cats and a bird, didn't make it out.
Firefighters told 6 News that the windy weather made battling the fire more difficult, but they were still able to get it under control in about 20 minutes.
Firefighters said the fire started in the only occupied apartment in the complex, and that no one will be able to live in the building for a while. The fire was determined to be accidental due to an overloaded electrical circuit.
(Photo courtesy of 6 News)