A natural gas leak caused over 100 people to evacuate an Elkhorn neighborhood Monday night.
The call came in around 6:00 when natural gas started leaking from a four-inch pipe in the middle of the road near 202nd and Hopper. Officials say
Scott Maupin with Omaha Fire and Rescue said construction work on a bridge caused the break. "They struck a gas main. They called immediately. Omaha fire got on scene. They evacuated all the homes and the school."
Surrounding houses had to evacuate, as well as families that were attending an event at Hillrise Elementary School.
The fire crews dug a hole by hand to get to the pipe, then clamping it and turning off the gas to make repairs. Residents were allowed back in to their homes around 10:30.
(Photo courtesy of 6 News)