BURT REYNOLDS SAYS HE FELL IN LOVE WITH SALLY FIELD WHEN SHE WAS 7
Say what? The 82-year-old Burt Reynolds made viewers of NBC’s The Today Show do a triple-take Thursday when he shared that Sally Field is not only the great love of his life, but that he fell in love with her when she was seven. He would have been 18 at the time. (And then the weirdness continued).
The interview took a strange turn when Today co-host Hoda Kotb asked Reynolds who the love of his life was.
- He replied: “You’re naughty, you really are. I’m dead in the water no matter what I say. Well, she was seven when I fell in love with her. She stayed seven for about 11 years. I would say Sally.”
- Field, now 71, and Reynolds dated for five years in the late 70's (when she was well into adulthood) after starring in four films together.
- But the surreal exchange didn’t end there. During the interview, which also nominally about his new movie The Last Movie Star, Reynolds also hashed out his relationship with his father, saying his father never told him he was proud of him, and sharing a troubling anecdote from his youth.
- “He arrested me once for fighting. He threw us all in this drunk tank and he came down and [told the rest], ‘You can go home, your father came.’ Then he looked at me and he said, ‘Your father didn’t show up.’ It was tough, but I loved him beyond.”
- The interview took another strange turn at the end, when, out of the blue he told Kotb that he was “so proud of you for not having your lips larger.” “Okay, Burt,” she responded, and let Twitter take it from there.
- The Last Movie Star is out in theaters March 30.