There were some anxious moments Thursday afternoon at Fort Crook Elementary near 25th and Capehart. The building was evacuated after several students smelled gas.
Bellevue Public Schools spokesperson Amanda Oliver says the principal made the decision to evacuate the school due to a possible carbon monoxide exposure. The nearly 300 students were put on buses to keep warm while firefighters and the gas company checked the building.
After about an hour the students and staff were able to return to school and continue with the day. Despite the smell, Oliver says no students or staff became sick because of the odor.